Monday, October 26, 2009

Army Officers wives- The unsung heros

I was browsing through google about army officers' wives lives and found almost next to nothing about it. I wondered the weirdness of it. Because Army is a part of our lives even if we are the 'civilians'. We hope to divest the very core of army officers wives lives. And it is very imporant that everybody should know about it. It is not easy to divulge the actual secret behind the smiles, the courtesies, the organization and the parties without some cynicism.

I am an Army Officer's wife and proud to be so.

Yet when i think about the baggage i carry along with me with the knowledge that its not actually a paradise to live in, i hesitate to say further. Let us leave the office to the officers and talk about their wives.

As a newly wed I had several expectations on being ragged to death. And with the stories i have heard about it, Medical and Engineering colleges seem rather saintly. This happened to a Major who had bought his wife in his unit and was welcomed by a 'jawan' (Posed by an officer). The Major was introduced to the wife as one of the jawans and was taken in the army truck (dhai-ton) to the OR quarters. The wife (now obviously scared out of her wits) couldn't stop crying. The army wives (posing as jawans wives) with saree covering their heads sympathized with her, secretly relishing about the plan accomplished. After a while the officer was let off with a grand dining in party where the newly weds are treated like royals. It is all related with a laugh and certainly the unit makes it sure that you never forget your first time.

One more incident where the wife is kidnapped by the bachelors and hidden in the No. 1 guest room, one more when the newly weds are greeted with a bullocart decorated in ballons and ribbons. The officer drags the cart and the wife, now outraged with humour indulges everyone with the right expressions. after all the unit just wants to be entertained themselves.

Say it luck, or perhaps my sweet face (lol ;) i was treated well with as little horror as possible. I was greeted in the No.1 gypsy and taken to the No.1 guest room and spent honeymooning there for the next two weeks. It was fun. The dining party followed. I wore my pink tasar silk feeling like a newly wed myself, sang a song for them without much a due. I was loved by all. Later on the popular of the unit, Lt. Col Dewan asked me to contribute something for the unit momento- a huge silver Golconda (where the AD unit was raised for the first time). It had to be something expensive. And down came my diamond ring. I was apprehensive, though having heard of the tradition. i asked asked to wish anything from the Golconda fort that was adorning the coffee table of the MESS. Obviously my heart was just fixed on my diamond ring and asked it out aloud. It was given back to me with a loud laughter around me.

Some days later on I was raided at one in the night by the bachelors. I made coffee, served them the freshly baked banana cake and after an hour was back to bed (cursig my guts off). You cant show too much emotions as a wife. You have to take it with a stride (everything!!).

So you see, there are traditions followed, some kidding around, some pulling of leg. But you remember these days and no wonder you have a smile on your face.

(c) copyright
Sonia KSingh

No comments:

Post a Comment